Saturday, January 7, 2017

Back to Basics - Simplify and Declutter

"Clutter is not just the stuff of your floor- it's anything that stands between you and the life you want to be living" - Peter Walsh.

Decluttering your life is a process that is needed in order to get yourself on the right track. Some steps may require more time than others. Keep in mind, life changes are never easy- it takes patience and dedication.
It seems as though there is always a new challenge or twist that life throws at us that prevent us from moving forward. But it's up to us to rise above it and come out stronger and better than before.
The most important lesson I've learned thus far, is that the only person holding us back from achieving everything we want out of life, is ourselves. We're responsible for obtaining the proper tools needed to catapult us on the path to success.
The best way to gain control of your life is by decluttering and removing the things and people that are weighing you down.
Here are three easy steps you can start doing now, in order to live a more organized and focused life.

1) Declutter Your Mind: We've all been guilty of infiltrating our minds with negative thoughts. We're human. Although I'd like to think I'm a fairly optimistic person, I too, sometimes fall victim of that negativity spell. Luckily, I always find a way to pick myself back up. Which is more important, in my opinion. Never allow your negative thoughts to consume you. Instead, override them with thoughts that are uplifting and encouraging. I know it's easier said than done, but if you slowly work on this mental exercise every day, you'll start to notice and feel a difference.
I've found that meditating and writing in my journal has helped with living a more positive and productive lifestyle. The more I refused to give into a negative mindset, the more happier I've become. Like everything else in life, these type of changes take work. The goal is to keep pursuing a clearer and more peaceful mind.

2) Declutter Your Surroundings: I used to be an extremely messy person. That messiness carried over to my surrounding area. From my car to my work desk, to my room. The mess was everywhere. The day I vowed to get more organized and keep my space tidy, was the day I saw a major shift in my focus. Something so simple as keeping your environment free of clutter, brings forth a change in attitude. One of them is appreciating what you have. You can't be grateful for the things you have, if you don't know what they are.
The first step was clearing out my closet. I got rid of or donated any piece of clothing I hadn't worn in years. Follow the same concept in every inch of your home and workspace. I guarantee once you do this, it will motivate you to aspire for more. Organization has a weird way of doing that. But hey, no complaints here!

3) Declutter Your Relationships: This is the most important and probably the hardest step to do. No one wants to be the bad guy that ends a relationship. But I'm here to tell you, it has to be done. I remember reading a quote that said: "You become like the five people you spend the most time with, choose carefully". That was my "aha" moment. It made me stop and think about the kind of people I wanted around me. I wanted driven, focused, successful and good people in my circle of friends. People I could learn something from and that would motivate me to push myself out of my comfort zone.
This new perspective was applied to my social media connections as well. I removed people from my friends list that had no value in their posts or pictures. Value as in no substance or passion. I love seeing post of people being passionate, whether it be their kids, work, hobbies, food (I'm one of those), or whatever it maybe, I love seeing it. What I don't like is negativity. There is nothing worse than seeing someone complain day after day about their life. People don't realize it, but negativity is contagious, and I for one, am not interested in it.

"Only when you remove things from your life, will you make room for bigger and better things to appear."

Take time to focus on the things that no longer serve a purpose in your life and slowly start detaching yourself from them. This process takes time. It won't happen overnight, but once you get the ball moving, you will immediately start attracting better things in your life. And who doesn't want more of that!

No comments:

Post a Comment